Friday, May 20, 2011

Your Great God Cares for You

I've always had a hard time bringing my little cares and fears to God. A sudden crisis is one thing:  I can see that it is too much for me, and I turn to Him automatically when disaster strikes. But the little things that make up so much of life, oh these I keep to myself not wanting to bother my Heavenly Father with such trivialities.


Yesterday I came across the following writing by Charles H. Spurgeon; after reading it I had to laugh at myself for being so silly as to think that the God who numbers the hairs on my head would not concern himself with the daily disappointments and trials which make up so much of our life in this world:

I believe that we fail to bring little troubles to God, and perhaps on account of their being so little, we fancy that we must not mention them to the Most High. This is but the fruit of our pride, for how do we know that our great things are so great as we think them to be? and are not our little things, after all, but the fractions of a considerable sum to such little creatures as ourselves?

These little, little things are of momentous concern to such little ones as we are; and the God that stoops to us at all has already brought himself down to condescension so low that we need not fear that we shall bring him lower. No, you may go to him if you like about that lost key, or about that child's swelling finger, or about that word that irritated you just now. There is nothing little to a father in the thing that troubles his little child; and your great God, having once condescended to observe and care for you, numbering the very hairs of your head, and not suffering a sparrow to fall to the ground without his purpose and decree will not think that you intrude upon him if you bring your daily troubles to him.

Our Father, Thy children who know Thee delight themselves in Thy presence. We are never happier than when we are near Thee. We have found a little heaven in prayer. It has eased our load to tell Thee of its weight; it has relieved our wound to tell Thee of its smart; it has restored our spirit to confess to Thee its wanderings. For Thy great and loving care, we thank Thee. Amen.

2 comments :

  1. I think because I became a Christian later in life (I was 18) and was led to the Cross by a loving friend and her family, I was given the gift of viewing God as an all knowing, powerful, majestic being who has office hours and an open door policy 24/7. As a child at the mercy of the nuns and priests, I was given the image that God had a lightning bolt in one hand and in the other a black book where he recorded every sin. That God had a world to run and didn't want to be bothered with hurting little girls. I embraced the new concept of God I was introduced to. This God I have a running conversation with all day long. He knows my every want, need, hurt, and disappointment because I'm in a constant dialogue with Him. Because of that open line of communication, even when I had my breakdown or my health completely fell apart, I never questioned or blamed God. I didn't enjoy what I was going through, but I wasn't angry or bitter because I had learned to trust Him. The fear I felt toward God changed to respect. As a child in the Catholic church, God was presented as a being to be feared. As an older teen away from the influence of my Catholic family, when God was presented to me as a being of loveI was able to pursue it.

    I've tried3 times to post this from my Google account and it won't let me, so I'm going to be anonymous. I don't know if you remember me. I've commented a few times. I've been anonymous, Cookie, but my name is mary and I usually try to use the username mary4697

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I sure do remember you!

    I think the great controversy we all have to come to terms with in our minds and hearts is our perception of God's character. Satan has much maligned it, and his work is furthered by those in our lives who may mean well, but don't have a true concept of who God is.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, anyone? I'd love to hear your point of view.