Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Words of Wisdom

I've been meaning for some time to share with my readers some of the best links I've come across which encourage me in my Christian walk. Here they are, hand-picked for their spiritual impact on my life in Christ:

What is the best course to take when you find yourself unhappy with your church? Dr. Ray Pritchard addresses this issue in his article I'm Unhappy With My New Church. What Should I Do? His timely advice begins with one word: pray.

Have you ever felt completely unqualified to be used by the hand of God? From the website She Seeks comes this inspiring little devotional for those of who feel we don't quite fit in anywhere. Can God still use us in all our obscurity?

What is one of the signs of true intimacy with God? While we might tend to think in terms of signs and wonders, or profound dreams. Oswald Chambers would answer differently:  silence. In these days of modern communication when it seems one is forever twittering, texting or facebooking,  and it seems as those we've lost the ability to be alone with our thoughts,God speaks most loudly through His silences.

Can't get enough of CS Lewis? Click here for some of his best quotations.

George Macdonald, the Scottish preacher who has long been one of my favorite writers, wrote these wise words: 

It matters little where a man may be at this moment; the point is whether he is growing.

A prolific writer whose works included poetry and novels, his intriguing biography, along with more of his great quotations,  can be found here.

Amy Carmichael, missionary to India, wrote the following:

"We profess to be strangers and pilgrims, seeking after a country of our own, yet we settle down in the most un-stranger-like fashion, exactly as if we were quite at home and meant to stay as long as we could. I don't wonder apostolic miracles have died. Apostolic living certainly has."

Ouch! I find her writings to be so spiritually profound that I must be in the right frame of mind to read them. She gets to the heart of a matter--and a good thing she does, for we all need to be reminded what our lives are meant to be all about.

Have you any links to add to this list? Any authors or preachers whose words always evoke in you a deeper thirst for God?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments, anyone? I'd love to hear your point of view.