Saturday, January 23, 2010

Book Review: What To Do When You Don't Know What to Do

In "What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do," authors Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend offer practical steps for working through the confusing fog which often besets us in the face of unexpected trouble, or lingering battles with addictions.

Though there is nothing new in the "8 Principles for Finding God's Way," as outlined here, this is a good refresher course for anyone who is floundering in indecision. For instance, in a section titled "Tips for Finishing the Past" we find these suggestions:

Agree that you have a painful past
Include others in your healing and grieving
Receive forgiveness
Forgive others
Examine your ways
See yourself through new eyes
Leave the past in the past

Those who are in the early stages of realizing their need of God's wisdom to assist in their healing and maturing process, as outlined in biblical principles, will find this little book to be a friendly guide. For those who have long established the habit of casting their cares upon God, this is a good reminder that we are wired to need Him, and others, as we bear the burdens of living in a sinful world.

(This is a review for Thomas Nelson.)

2 comments :

  1. I read the book Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend a few years ago. The book is directed at adults who grew up in dysfunctional families and/or experienced child abuse. The authors presented some extremely helpful perspectives for me regarding my own childhood victimization. My journal is filled with quotations from Boundaries. I felt like the authors knew me. If What To Do When You Don't Know What To DO is anything like Boundaries, it probably contains helpful information and is well written.

    ~m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the book Boundaries. Growing up with abuse, I had no idea what were healthy boundaries, or maybe I should say I had no idea there was such a thing as boundaries.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, anyone? I'd love to hear your point of view.