Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Amazing Love

You ask me how I know it, and I take you, not to the infinite spaces where stars march in rhythmic order, nor to the hedgerow where God smiles in flowers; but to the rough brutal cross of Calvary, to the hour of the dying of the Christ.

"God commendeth His own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners Christ died for us." My brethren, such love is royal, and royal love makes claims upon loyalty. What shall I do in answer to that love? We have often sung together: "Were the whole realm of nature mine, That were a present far too small; Love so amazing, so divine, Demands my soul, my life, my all!" Have we not sung that wrong in two ways? Have we not sung it first as though we would say, I cannot give Him so great a thing as the realm of nature, I can give only myself to Him? That is wrong. It is wrong in His thinking if it is not in yours. He counts you, bruised and broken, sinful, dying man, He counts you more than the whole realm of nature. When one day He held the infinite balances in His hand, He said,"What doth it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and forfeit his life?" That is His estimate. God so love you that He would not feel Himself enriched if He could save the whole realm of nature and lose you. How do I know that? Because He gave something infinitely more than the whole realm of nature, He gave Himself in His Son for you.

If you want to know your value by the measurements of love, God measure you by Himself. When you next sing that verse, do not sing it as though you had nothing to give--if you have yourself to give. If you have yourself to give, give yourself. That is all He wants. Have we not sung that verse wrongly in the next place by singing, "Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all," without the answering abandonment? My brother, my sister, answer that love tonight, not by singing of its demands, but by giving all you are to it. Give yourself, with all your wounds and bruises,with all your weakness and frailty. Answer that love, and that love will remake you until at last you shall be meet for the dwelling of the saints in light. May God in His infinite grace speak this word to us as no human voice can speak it.

G. Campbell Morgan Westminster Pulpit Volumes 1&2 pg. 137-138

2 comments :

Comments, anyone? I'd love to hear your point of view.