Monday, September 14, 2009

Godspeed

Well everyone, I've been wanting a new look for my blog and here it is at last! I'm so pleased with it that I decided I'd change the name as well.

Sweet Comfort is what I called the little monthly publication I did years ago for incarcerated teens. I wanted them to have something they could hold in their hands and linger over after their monthly Bible study--something which would speak to their hurting hearts about a loving God.

Because many of the teens receiving Sweet Comfort had only a 5th grade reading level, I purposely kept the wording simple. I scoured books and available materials online for inclusion in my little magazine, condensing them to more easily fit the attention span of my targeted audience. Sweet Comfort became a spiritual Reader's Digest of sorts, and oh how I loved piecing it together each month, anticipating each poem, story or article's potential for changing lives.

I didn't necessarily want all of the writing in SC to be authored by me, which is why I went on scavenger hunts searching for nuggets of wisdom and truth. I still don't care to have everything here derived from only one source, and so you'll find many writers represented here, each one sharing their unique perspective on things that matter. I like to think of this new, electronic version of Sweet Comfort as a sojourner's journal clumsily patched together over the years, smudged with the tears of one who has often wrestled with God. I think of it as one heart, imperfect and fumbling (yet in earnest) speaking out to other hearts of the mysteries, pitfalls and joys of the journey heavenward. (Once in a while a fellow pilgrim stumbles my way and writes a few lines in my journal, thus gifting me beyond measure.)

See, this is where the narrow road has led me, I will write. Perhaps it will lead you likewise, but probably not. God is so creative that He probably never leads two individuals in the same exact path. But the direction is the same. The hazards of the journey vary only in minor detail.

As I trudge my way ever farther from the strident godless society in which I dwell (oh, and sometimes isn't it true that my feet positively skip, for the joy that awaits my journey's end?), a verse takes up its chorus in my head:

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, works for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. (2 Cor.4:17,18.)


I wish you Godspeed for the journey,

5 comments :

  1. Thanks for the link. I WILL be around.
    It will be fun to read your writing again. I always enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog has a very pleasant feel to it. And if this is your picture it also feels compelling. I like connecting faces with those who open up their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Clay, I'm pretty pleased with my blog changes.

    It's nice to connect with you again, hope you stop by often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie,

    Glad to have you on board. I've enjoyed browsing through your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Deb, stopped back in for a bit more reading. It is so great to re-connect with you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, anyone? I'd love to hear your point of view.