Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Narrow Road


After much thought I've come to the conclusion that I must part ways with the Adventist system of beliefs.

Though I could write paragraphs explaining the whys of my decision, I think it best to simply state my intentions. It's never been my goal to argue anyone into anything, nor to convince others that what they believe is erroneous. What I must do for my soul's sake is to return to the roots of my faith, specifically the root teaching about grace.

It's been decades since I've had any true understanding of grace. I know why and when I got derailed; there is no point in going into all of that yet again. I don't believe that by renouncing Adventism I'm losing my salvation. I've arrived at this juncture in my life after much spiritual wrestling. Christ must be all: the beginning, the end and everything in between. As I've stated before, should He lead me back into Adventism I will gladly follow, but for now I find I can't even keep my eyes on Him with the shadow of Ellen White hovering over me like an angry teacher.

It's important to stress that I'm only letting go of Adventism, not Christianity. They are not one and the same. I need grace in my life. I need to feel the assurance of the love of my Saviour, and I've not been able to find that within the confines of Adventism.

I've no quarrel with those who remain in the Adventist church. I've nothing in my heart but affection for all my brothers and sisters in Christ, be they Adventist or not. There isn't time enough left in this world to be at odds with one another, to devour one another with angry dissension.

I'm doing the only thing I can do which is to set aside everything which hinders my walk with my Saviour. The law kills, but the Spirit gives life. This will be my focus then: to avoid whatever repels, while wholeheartedly embracing that which draws me closer to His side.


7 comments :

  1. Dear Deb
    I rejoice that you have chosen to focus fully, completely on Jesus.

    That is very possibly the most powerful decision possible.

    Praise the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better myself.

    You are loved in Christ Jesus.
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOP & Travis:

    I appreciate both of your comments. My decision has been a long time coming, which makes it all the more delicious!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shared your article with Mariano from lifeandsoctrine.blogspot.com he was excited to hear that God had moved so powerfully in your life, we are all very proud of the work Christ is doing in your heart, mind, and life.

    If you need anything, or we can help you in any way let me know

    You are loved in Christ
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think one of the most effective ways to focus on Jesus Christ is to immerse oneself in the Bible. The Bible is the word of God (Mark 7:9-13, John 10:34-35, 2 Timothy 3:16) and Jesus Christ is also called "the Word of God" (John 1:1-14, Revelation 19:13). Because you have parted with the Adventist system of beliefs, you will be able to read and learn from the Bible with an open mind and a new perspective.

    The Bible teaches about salvation through Jesus Christ throughout the old and new testaments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Author,

    It was through the Word of God that I first fell in love with Jesus, so your advice is right on target!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God for the freedom he brings -- he who is full of grace and truth.

    May I suggest Luther's commentary on Galatians? http://www.ccel.org/ccel/luther/galatians.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments, anyone? I'd love to hear your point of view.